Tuesday, 24 February 2015

The Australian Flying Saucer Club

The Australian Flying Saucer Club





A week before the first atomic bomb test explosion on Australian soil in 1953 Frederick Stone had an experience with that UFO's he witnessed flying over Adelaide, South Australia.
 Mr Stone witnessed what he described as 5 cigar-shaped objects that were not human in origin. He could clearly see humanoid “figures” inside each craft as they flew past.

 This led Mr Stone to found South Australia's very first UFO interest and investigation group “The Australian Flying Saucer Club”.

In an effort to build friendships interstate, Mr Stone affiliated with a Sydney based group known as the “Australian Saucer Bureau”, founded by Edgar Jarrold
 Mr Stone became the South Australian Branch President, leaving his own club to fold, however, Mr Jarrold, based in New South Wales not very forth coming with information, so Mr Stone decided to move on from the club and form another new one, “The Australian Flying Saucer Research Society”


In next weeks blog we will take a look at this research society that has been going for more 50 years in South Australia!

Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Subterranean Adelaide Part 4 Escape Tunnels

Subterranean Adelaide Part 4
Escape Tunnels

In the least three chapters of this series we have explored tunnels, basements and a train underpass that we know through public record definitely existed or exist, but there has always been plenty of rumour about other man-made tunnels stretching underneath Adelaide.

There has long been rumour of a series of tunnels designed and constructed by Sir Colonel William Light, the architect of Adelaide. It is estimated these tunnels began to be dug as early as 1936, but their entrances were closed off to hide them from the public. The entrances were supposed to be set in Victoria Square, Light Square, Hindmarsh Square, Hurtle Square and Whitmore Square, as well as under the cities major banks.
These tunnels were reportedly constructed as a means to escape the city if their was ever an military invasion. When one considers that Adelaide's beautiful parkland’s that surround the city were in actual fact a military design in themselves, being a little longer than the average length a rifle could shoot a bullet in the 1840's, then there is, perhaps, some possibility of escape tunnels being present, where exactly they would go to would be anyone’s guess.
There has also long been a rumour, now confirmed of an old service tunnel under the Advertiser building which was most likely used to allow entry to various basement level storage and printing areas.
There is also a long held belief amongst the Adelaide Urbex explorers that there is an entry tunnel in in the east end park lands, near the small lake, one underneath Old parliament House which allowed politicians to travel to the train station unseen, and another under the Keswick Army Barracks, that goes to places unknown.

Do any or all these tunnels exist, that I cannot answer, but possibly someone out there reading this may have experienced some of them for themselves, if you do have a subterranean story of Adelaide, concerning man-made tunnels (and not the various storm water drains, aqueducts and water outlets) please feel free to tell us your story, or post photos below, here, or on our facebook page at www.facebook.com/TheHauntsofAdelaide

Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Subterranean Adelaide Part Three - The Treasury Building Tunnels

Subterranean Adelaide Part Three

The Treasury Building Tunnels

The original building of the Medina Grand Hotel, The Treasury Building of Adelaide, was first constructed in 1839, and small parts of it can still be seen in the building that stands today, although remodelling over the years have hidden much of it.
Over the following years, and especially from 1858 to 1876 construction took the building to new heights, and new lows, with long rumoured tunnels, which are no now longer a secret, with entry now easily obtainable to the general public via the Adelaide CDB Ghost Crime Tours.

For more than 150 years the Old Treasury building provided offices and administration buildings for multiple Government agencies including the Governor, The Register General and Land Office and the Colonial Secretary
The building also features the treasury vaults underneath, which during the gold rush in Victoria in 1852/1853, is where the gold from interstate was stored away safely. Nearly 13 tonnes of gold were sheltered in the tunnels in that one year period alone.
The tunnels underneath the building were actually a mishmash of various basements during the buildings various remodelling and rebuilding periods over 150 years, that were all interconnected with walkway tunnels to make it easier to move gold and important documents around much more easily.


It has been a long held belief within the Adelaide urbex explorer community that there were furnaces installed in the basement area to smelt the aforementioned gold, but this is in fact a myth. The two furnaces that are installed in the basement are not large enough to provide the required heat to smelt gold. It is thought they were installed to help with lithographic processing for the production of maps for the above survey office.
There was however evidence that smelters were installed on a ground floor level to produce smelted gold, but these have long since been removed from the site.
The “newest” tunnel was built in around 1907 to join the eastern basements built in 1867 with the new northern printing rooms built under the north wing
Presently the tunnels are used for the aforementioned Ghost Crime Tours, but also during various festivals to display artworks, or other social events.


To book an Adelaide Ghost Crime Tour and experience the tunnels for yourself, visit www.ghostcrimetours.com.au 

Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Subterranean Adelaide Part Two - Roseneath

Subterranean Adelaide Part Two

Roseneath

Completed in 1849 in the North Adelaide suburb of Walkerville sits the stunning two storey Georgian Villa known as “Roseneath'.
The house was built for James Wyld Macdonald who was an official at the Burra Mines.
The villa was built from locally kilned bricks, and was originally surrounded y olive groves and rows of vines that flanked the main driveway to the front gates on Stephens Terrace.

At the rear of the building sites a small limestone cottage, stables and coach house that were completed sometimes around 1845

This building has a service tunnel underneath it that goes out to the servant quarters at the rear of the building. Other branches of the tunnel go into storage rooms and wine cellars. There is an old legend that there was once another tunnel that led to the River Torrens, it is speculated that this tunnel was to aide bringing water to the house, to help cool the house, and to provide an escape route if there was an attack by the local natives.

The tunnels are all bricked lined their entire length, and were constructed under the guidance of original owner James McDonald.

Want more stories?
Find exclusive stories in the book:
"The Haunts of Adelaide - History, Mystery and the Paranormal"
The first book in a series by paranormal investigator Allen Tiller
available via #Amazon and Amazon Kindle
Buy it here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-HAUNTS-ADELAIDE-History-Paranormal/dp/1503150232