Pages

Monday 11 November 2013

Remembrance Day 2013


Remembrance Day 2013



Today is Remembrance Day (Also known as Armistice Day), a day that marks the anniversary of the armistice which ended the First World War (1914–18). Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the end of hostilities of World War I on that date in 1918. Hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month,".

Each year Australians (and most countries of the Commonwealth) observe one-minute silence at 11 am on 11 November, in memory of those who died or suffered in all wars and armed conflicts.

I thought, as my Great Grandfather fought in this war that I would honour him by offering this weeks blog a day early and devoting it to him, a man I never met, but a man I will always respected, like so many other Australians who go to war, to give us the freedoms we have today.

Sadly, I only have two photos of my Great-Grandfather during his service period.


The man on the left with the "X" marked on him is my Great Grandfather Harold James Buckingham Tremaine. He is pictured here with the 6th Cavalry Brigade (Adelaide): , 9th, Light Horse Regiment

This picture was taken in Cairo as far as I am aware, There is no story attached to it that I know of, unfortunately, my Grandmother, had past-on before she could relay the story to me.

Harold James Buckingham Tremaine
Born in Kapunda 1882 - died in Kapunda 1967
(enrolment register)
                                     Service Number: 1613

Rank: Private
Roll title: 9 LHR [Light Horse Regiment] - 11 to 14 Reinforcements (October 1915 - February 1916)
Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918
Date of embarkation: 18 November 1915
Place of embarkation: Adelaide
Ship embarked on: HMAT Geelong A2

(Discharge Register)
http://cedunaworldwar1.weebly.com/t.html

© 2013 Allen Tiller
www.eidolonparanormal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment